Wednesday, March 29, 2017

#9 I'm about to complain for a hot sec

   A flipped classroom is a blended delivery system that allows students to listen to lecture material outside of class and then spend their time in class actively engaging in the learning process. In other words, traditional homework becomes class work and traditional class work becomes homework.

   This method, according to the book, allows for instruction to be delivered in a different way that may reach some learners better.

   As many of us have talked about before, one fantastic source of educational videos is Crash Course. They range in subject from American History to Chemistry and Literature. Here is a link to their YouTube channel: Crash Course.

   Side Note: In high school, I took an AP European History class where the teacher recorded her lectures and posted them to Edmodo. It was our job to listen to the lectures and take notes as homework. That way, when we came in to class, we could discuss the material as a group and ask any questions that we had. I personally LOVED that style of learning.

   Ohhhhhh Power Point, how I detest you!!! While the projects that other people create on you are amazing, that's a task I'll leave to someone else.

   In the Information Dissemination project, I learned how to create a master slide and record the presentation to create a show. Pretty cool stuff! I really like how my presentation turned out in the end.

   But, I struggled trying to present information without using bullet points....like REALLY struggled. That was the part that I disliked the most. I felt like so much of the information that I wanted to present would have been more digestible, at least from a student's perspective, if it had been listed in bullet form.

Here is what a few of my slides look like:



   As far as the Interaction project is concerned, I liked it slightly better than the Information Dissemination one. I learned how to link one slide to another which resulted in a pretty cool practice game!

   In the future, I wish I could have figured out to add different audio clips. I wanted to add in a countdown audio bite on the slide that says, "Ready? Set.....GO!". However, but I couldn't figure it out. Other than that, I'm really happy with how this turned out and I like it better than the first project.

Here is what a few of my slides look like:


8 comments:

  1. I think it's great that the flipped classroom worked well for you. My only dislike about it is I know there are students who aren't going to do the work at home. You probably had those students in your class. But anyway, I really like the look and idea of your interactive powerpoint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only had 8 people so it was a little difficult to free ride haha. I think that this would work best in smaller classes where students can be held accountable.

      Delete
  2. I hate PowerPoint, too. Haha. Kill it with fire!

    What I like about the flipped classroom model is how it seems to resemble a lot of our college courses. For example, Lit classes, you read the material at home, come in the next day to discuss it. Super effective and highly productive... encourages independent learning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way that English classes are run! I feel like I learn so much more when I come up with ideas independently and then expand upon them in a group setting.

      Delete
  3. I am happy that you were able to have a flipped classroom that worked out well. My only experience with it did not go too great, however it was in my Algebra II class and I already dislike math as it is. I think I might enjoy it more with a history related subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry that your experience wasn't as enjoyable. Math is the WORST and I can't teach myself math so I feel like I wouldn't have enjoyed that either.

      Delete
  4. But your slides with look so nice with the Smart Art alternative to bullets :) As far as "Ready, Set, Go..." there are tons of free sounds effects and sound bytes with a simple Google Search. Or you could record your own voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think about recording my own voice! That's a great suggestion, thank you.

      Delete